Thursday, January 17, 2008

Let's begin - January 2008 - Volume 1

Luther's Work's Volume 1, Luther's Lectures on Genesis Chapters 1-5

From Luther's lectures on Genesis which he started in 1535.

Since I started reading this at the beginning of the month I have a bit of backtracking and catching up to do...

In light of recent discussions on other websites regarding the church father's, I found it interesting to note the following introductory comments from Luther...

AELW 1:4 (This nomenclature will be used for all future references and means, American Edition, Luther's Works, Volume 1, page 4)

"Hilary and Augustine, almost the two greatest lights of the church, hold that the world was created instantaneously and all at the same time, not successively in the course of six day."

Luther further notes on the pages following this quote, that the six days of creation were to be understood in a literal sense, meaning six 24 hour days, not in an allegorical sense.

I also find it amusing that Hilary and Augustine almost made it to the two greatest lights of the church...

1 comment:

John Wurst said...

I find your beginning interesting as I am about to embark on a Bible Study on the Book of Genesis.

I was reading the Ancient Christian Commentary of the Church Fathers and they begin their discussion with Christ.

In fact, they turn immediately to John i, 1-3.

As we are taught to look for Christ in the OT, this is a very valuable insight from the Fathers.

I look forward to reviewing your blog for insights to assist me in the planning of my Bible Study.

I too, will be reading through all 8 volumes of Luther on the Book of Genesis along with some other resources.

Thank you brother.