Thursday, April 17, 2008

We die and become alive


AELW 4:188

"And human life as a whole is actually such that because of the extraordinary change of all things one can call it “lives”; for we die as often as a new trial arises, and we become alive in turn when we are buoyed up and receive comfort.
Observe, I beg you, how great a variety and difference there is in the life of each person. The first age is that of a seven-year-old boy. When this has come to an end, another period of seven years follows, just as philosophers and physicians, too, point out when they discuss the climacteric years during which striking changes take place. And Paul says about himself in 1 Cor. 13:11: “When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways.” Such changes are part of the lives of the human race. For this reason that entire sequence of ages in each human being is justly called lives, because during any period of seven years we are changed into a different appearance, disposition, and understanding. In short, we die and become alive."

No comments: