Monday, April 21, 2008

Procrastination is a hidden evil...

AELW 4:297

"...daily experience teaches that those who delay never acquire riches and resources. Therefore they will never be learned or great men in the church. For even though it was a poet who said: “He who is not ready today will be less ready tomorrow,” his words apply everywhere. I have learned from my own experience that whenever it was necessary to pray, to read, or to partake of the Lord’s Supper, the longer I delayed, the more disinclined I was. Then I felt least fit.
Procrastination is a hidden evil, but it is horribly injurious. The Holy Spirit does not bestow His gifts on procrastinators; He bestows them on those who are prompt, ready, and alert, as the psalmist says: “I am ready, or I have hastened, and have not delayed, have not put off to keep Thy commandments” (cf. Ps. 119:60). Thus in the case of Rebecca the Holy Spirit has commended her speed: “She quickly let down her jar” (Gen. 24:18), and “she ran to tell her mother’s household” (Gen. 24:28)."

No comments: