Friday, April 16, 2010

Psalm 77 - Verse 6 - Strive to chew the cud

AELW 11:23


6     I said, “Let me remember my song in the night;
let me meditate in my heart.”
Then my spirit made a diligent search:



"this happens most fittingly in the night, both literally and spiritually. The night is spiritual. It means to forget everything external and to be snatched up inwardly, and then neither to consider nor to see anything visible. Wherefore they are foolish who say, “What do I have to do with the Bible and the Gospel? I know those things.” O vanity! One must meditate on this, for it is necessary not only to have a cloven hoof, but also to chew the cud;* then, indeed, you will get the point. For this is the garden of nuts (Song of Sol. 6:11)."



*That is, one must get the whole message. Cf. Lev. 11:3.


No comments: