Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Psalm 77 - The terror of the Law, the sweetness of the Gospel

AELW 11:19

Psalm 77, verse 2

In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord;
in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying;
my soul refuses to be comforted.


"This is the trouble of remorse and the total wretchedness of this life, as suggested by blessed Augustine on this passage. [But the fact that he says “my” seems to express the trouble which he stirred up for himself in his meditation.] For the remorseful man understands his wretchedness and sees that he is in the midst of trouble and trial, since in fact the life of man on earth is trial and warfare (Job 7:1). But this salutary knowledge in a wonderful way makes a man remorseful and turns him away from earthly things and turns him toward God. "

No comments: