Monday, July 13, 2009

Psalm 28 - Deeds correspond to words, gestures of the body to the state of mind

Psalm 28, verse 2

"Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place."
"Lift up hands. Augustine says, “I am crucified for them, when they ought to become Your temple.” Second, it is to be understood thus: Hands are literally raised to heaven during prayer. In the third place, it denotes that works ought to be lifted up, they ought to be spiritual and heavenly and directed toward God. And for such and with such people prayer is effective. On the contrary, to drop hands refers to earthly works, etc. Therefore he prays in vain who does not lift up his hands in a mystical and genuine elevation. For deeds should correspond to words, and the gestures of the body to the state of the mind."

No comments: