Friday, February 29, 2008

I wonder...

Who was in Luther's Greek class???

AELW3:5
"If someone is able to write four Greek words, to explain one psalm, he is puffed up by his knowledge as if by yeast. The result is that he thinks he is walking on the clouds, far above other human beings.
I learned to recognize this disease soon enough, since I was warned by so many accounts of the Holy Scriptures. At the beginning of the Reformation, therefore, when God involved me in this faction (if I may call it that) against my will and by means of wonderful opportunities, I asked Him fervently to deliver me from this evil. He heard my prayer; for He kept me free from this temptation, although not so free that I did not feel it. He kept me occupied to such an extent with responsibilities, worries, perils, and hardships that all ambition was readily shut out of my mind."

No comments: